Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Selling Shit



You know what I regret?

Warmachine.

Don't get me wrong, at the very beginning, the game looked awesome. I mean, what's not to love? It's got a great steampunk/dungeonpunk aesthetic, huge stompy robots, and the game is dripping with awesome wizard characters. Warmachine (and its sister game, Hordes) has the distinction of being pretty much the only game where the better I got at it, the less I liked it.

Why? Honestly, it was that far too much of the game was seated in list-building. It's not a matter of how you play - it's a matter of whether or not you get off the combo in your list. Assuming that nobody makes an error, the "best" (or rock-to-scissors) combo will win.

And that's about it.

So, I've been getting out of Warmachine, gradually, and (this is why this is apropos of this hobby) hopefully turning it into more Horus Heresy resin. When I want to get rid of an army, where do I go?

Bartertown is a great resource for trading and selling, with an integrated reputation system to make sure that a potential trading partner is on the up-and-up. I have bought, sold, and traded quite a lot on Bartertown, and I love it. The only problem with Bartertown is that the system that prevents spam is wildly out of step with the rate at which shit actually happens there. If your thread doesn't get any attention within 24 to 48 hours, it's not going to happen. However, the website makes you wait a full week before you can post again with, say, a reduced price. This can sometimes really, really suck when you are (like I am) impatient.

My second favorite place to go to get rid of shit is The Barter Bucket. It's a Facebook group, so you'll have to join, but the real name and face (ish) nature of Facebook makes it a pretty comfortable place to buy and sell. I don't know anyone who's gotten screwed on the Barter Bucket. For some reason, I've encountered more flakes on the Barter Bucket than anywhere else, but that's just a little bit frustrating rather than being a dealbreaker. Nobody has ever flaked on paying me, so it's all good in the end.

Finally, the elephant in the room is eBay. Goddamnit, but I fucking hate eBay. I have only once sold anything on eBay, and not for a satisfactory price. More often, the shit I'm trying to sell just fucking sits there, mocking me. If you've had more luck with eBay, I'm extremely eager to hear your thoughts.

All of this is particularly relevant for me because I'm trying to sell my fucking Khador army so I can get more resin. So if Warmachine is - for some reason - your jam, drop me a line and let's see if we can make a deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment